Recently there has been an increase in Burglaries in the area surrounding Maypearl, here are a few basic tips to help make sure YOUR home isn’t a target.
- Burglars look for homes that give the appearance that the homeowner is away for an extended period of time, such as a vacation. The following tips are designed to help reduce the chances of your residence being burglarized while you are away from your home.
- Discontinue any deliveries to the home by phone or in person ahead of time. Avoid leaving notes.
- Either discontinue mail and newspaper delivery or have a neighbor or friend pick them up daily.
- Inform neighbors of your absence so they can be extra alert for suspicious persons. Leave a key with them so the house can be inspected. Tell them where you will be so you can be contacted in the event of an emergency while you are away.
- If you have a motor vehicle that is not garaged, arrange for it to be moved from time to time while you are away.
- Arrange for someone to mow your lawn, rake leaves and maintain the yard to give the home a lived-in look.
- Leave your blinds, shades, and curtains in a normal position. Don’t close them unless it is normally what you do when you are at home.
- Have a neighbor place your garbage cans at the curb on your normal pickup day(s) and return them after the garbage pickup is made.
- Plug in timers to turn lights, radio and television on and off at appropriate times.
- Stop by the Maypearl Police Department and fill out a Vacation Check form so that we know you are out of town and can keep an eye on your house for you. Or you can download the form from the Police Departments page.